Room for More

Rowe Family Adoption Story

Rowe Family Adoption Story
"Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it..." Psalm 127:1

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Why I Believe

I’ve been struggling lately. A stressor test would confirm that it is because of the many life changes that are occurring in our family, (house for sale, recent adoption of 5 children, beginning of another homeschool year, church transition…). I know I’m justified in feeling a bit stressed, but I also know that even in the most difficult circumstances, as a Christian, through the supernatural power of God, I am to have an abundance of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. I’ve been missing these fruits in my heart lately and it is discouraging. Rather than appreciating the amazing work of God in our journey of trust/redemption/adoption, I’ve been highly annoyed by my children’s presence, wishing I were doing something else, wishing life were more fun. I’ve noticed this divide and have been asking God to help remove it.

In reading through Hebrews for the past few weeks, God is reminding me that Jesus is the great High Priest that I can confidently approach and ask for help, knowing that as a human, He was tempted in every way that I am. And then yesterday, God spoke clearly to me through a book by Oswald Chambers, So Send I You;

“If we know in our own lives that God can do what Jesus Christ said He could, we can never be put in the place where we will be discouraged.”

After letting this sink in, I got on my knees and begged God for a transformation- a grateful heart that consistently and unconditionally loves my children and my ministry as their mom. I left my closet and began to resume straightening up the house to prepare for bedtime when Ruby asked if I’d play a board game with her. I agreed (a little reluctantly wishing rather to clean a sink of dishes or something that didn’t require interaction) and began playing, realizing how much I have been missing of her adorable little self. In the middle of the game, Tommy came in and asked if I could wash his feet- that means help him dig the dirt out from under his toenails- (yuck, I know as it was sweeter when he was 2 or 3 not 12). Again, not my favorite thing to do but totally through the supernatural power of God, I agreed.

As he began to set up the wash basin, towel and soap station, a line quickly formed, “me next?”. “Of course”, I thought, “everything now is times 8”. After about the third, “can I go next?” I unlovingly answered in frustration, “only if there is time.” As I scrubbed and dug, Tim was reading out loud about a missionary in India, (Sundar Singh) who, for sharing the gospel, was thrown into prison and forced to endure having all sorts of things hurled at him, including leaches let loose on his back. In his torture, he continued to preach the good news of Christ saving mankind from sin. If anyone had reason to be discouraged, it was this man. Between the soaking, scrubbing, and rubbing, I began to get the blessing of seeing my children so relaxed and happy. It made me want to take my time in washing the feet of all eight of them, so I did.

After putting them to bed, I opened a book I have been reading lately, the one quoted from above, and began to cry when hearing again from God:

John 13:14 “If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.”

Ministering as opportunity surrounds does not mean selecting our surroundings, but being very selectly God’s in any haphazard surroundings He may engineer for us. The characteristics we exhibit in our immediate surroundings are an indication of what we shall be like in other circumstances by and by. ‘Jesus, knowing that the Father had given up all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God’ (John 13:3). We might have expected the record to go on, He was transfigured before them, but the next thing we read that our Lord did was of the most menial, commonplace order. He ‘took a towel and girded Himself…and began to wash the disciples’ feet’ (vv.4-5). Can we use a towel as our Lord did? Towels and basins and feet and sandals, all the ordinary, sordid things of our lives, reveal more quickly than anything what we are made of. It is not the big occasions that reveal us, but the little occasions. It takes God Incarnate to do the most menial commonplace things properly. ‘If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet’ (v.14). Our Lord did not say, “I have the means of the salvation of thousands, I have been the most successful in My service, now you go and do the same thing.’ He said, ‘I have washed your feet; you go and wash one another’s feet.’ We try to get out of it by washing the feet of those who do not belong to our own set – we will wash the unbeliever’s feet, or feet in the slums, but fancy washing my brother’s feet, my wife’s, my husband’s, (my children’s), the feet of the minister of my church! Our Lord said – one another’s feet.”

No coincidence that this was what I opened to read last night. The peace I felt just in knowing that God not only hears but answers me in my distress tucked me into bed last night. Oh, Praise Him!

My reason for sharing this is not to bring glory to myself in washing my children’s feet, in fact I hope I’ve left no question as to how pitifully sinful and in need of a Savior I am. I share this to show how real God is and how He speaks to us- even preparing us to listen. It is what helps me believe in Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment